Wednesday, September 22, 2010

2ND Run: Nature Valley


Fort Global City, Taguig

By this time, I already have a new pair of running shoes and my own pacer. My practice runs were getting better and with the new pacer I knew exactly how my training was going.. Confidently, I registered for the Nature Valley Run while all of my friends were joining the 21k.. I joined yet again the 10k run (in retrospect I should have joined the 21k that day) though confident enough, I wasn’t yet mentally prepared for a 21.
 It was my most prestigious event so far and as usual I didn’t get a good sleep the night before. Also went to Serendra the day before (big mistake! Day before any run one must rest regardless whoever it is who wants to go out). I prepared myself by running 5k each day and long runs during the weekend  from 10k to 12k. In my mind I was well prepared and was expecting a very good performance of sub 1h for the event. Race Day came, I arrived 5m before the gun start (not a good idea! A runner should be at the site 1h before the run so he warm up, stretch and whatever it is he or she wants to do before the race). I placed myself in the middle of the pack then I heard the gun start and finally.. there I went! It took me more than 2m before I reached the starting line, there was really a lot of people who joined (it was my 1st Rio event and my most prestigious so far) I was surprised by the number of people who were there.
So there I was trapped within the sea of people who joined.. I did my best to achieve my goal of sub 1h but alas! I didn’t! Due to not getting a good sleep, not getting any rest the day before.
I was huffing and puffing by km 8 and was barely able to do a 6m30s per K pace but still I told myself whatever happens I’ll finish the race. And I did with the time of 1h2m45s. It was a 2m improvement from my 1st run a month and half ago but still 2m46s short of my goal.
I learned a lot that day.. that I am supposed to be at the site an hour before the race , that I am supposed to rest. Also I found out that joining the 21k is way better that the 10K because you have a medal (which I really want), a finisher shirt (also want), and Haagen daz (which my wife wants). I also learned that though Rio events is a little expensive it’s all worth it because they give good loot bags and hydration stations are sufficient with both water and sports drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment